Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon implemented and the Township was planned in 1858 covering 81 square a long way. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph purchased its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was designed in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a community well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also issues and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was arranged, which is currently the St. Joseph Flame Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the people after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and pet animal care. Immediately after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to deal with.
After the war ended people were in a position to get their lives back on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which somewhat reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. With all the depression effecting everyone in town, the city needed to stay together as part of your. Through a national offer, the Council was able to hire the unemployed to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 the more info Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially got into the US into World Warfare 2. Rationing tokens were given out since many items were an issue. In those days St. Joseph possessed a populace of around 1050, burning off 10 heroic military to the warfare. The community continued to be strong and extended to increase the Community, adding a normal water tower in 1949, along with a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its drinking water supply, and remains to take action.